The current Corgi dog scene is divided into two main lines: Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Cardigan Welsh Corgi . These two pet breeds have many similar characteristics, so if you are not attentive, you will have a hard time recognizing them.
The following article, Inkpawarts.com will introduce you to how to distinguish Pembroke Corgi and Cardigan Corgi with advice “which dog breed should I raise?”
General introduction to two breeds of Corgi
The Corgi family consists of two main lines: the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and the Cardigan Welsh Corgi . In particular, Cardigan Corgi is an ancient Corgi breed, which has existed for a long time. The Pembroke Corgi is the result of crossbreeding between the Cardigan and a number of indigenous dwarf breeds.
The purpose of the Europeans when breeding is to want the new Corgi to be gentler, more suitable as a pet than the Cardigan Corgi. Result: Pembroke is more and more popular in the World. And Cardigan Corgi is forgotten by humans with a small number remaining in the World. Today, people only see them appear mainly in Wales, England.
Similarities Between Pembroke Corgi and Cardigan Corgi
In general, due to their close relationship, Pembroke Corgi and Cardigan Corgi have a relatively similar appearance: Both possess a round, plump body with a long back and super short legs. The normal leg-to-body ratio is 1:2. It is that special body that is a plus point, exalting the cuteness of Corgi.
Other similar features of these two Corgi lines are: The head is smaller than the body, the eyes are small, slightly slanted, symmetrically across the bridge of the nose. Their ears are large, triangular, erect, slightly to the sides. The snout of the Corgi is quite long and pointed. The chest is wide and bulging, while the abdomen is deeply drawn.
The coat of the Pembroke Corgi and the Cardigan Corgi both has the same texture with 2 super thick layers:
- The inner coat is short and soft.
- The outer coat is longer and stiffer.
The coat with the effect of heat helps the dog’s body withstand the cold in conditions of minus ten degrees Celsius. The coat color of Pembroke and Cardigan has many different colors, but the common feature is that they all have fur on the muzzle, bridge of the nose, forehead, etc. belly and feet white.
These two short-legged Corgi lines are both very intelligent and loyal to their owners. In general, they are easy to train, affectionate and friendly with humans. Corgi is the number 1 choice for those who want to keep a pet for companionship.
Difference between Pembroke Corgi and Cardigan Corgi
Although there are many similarities, there are many differences between the Pembroke Corgi and the Cardigan Corgi that are easily recognizable to the naked eye. Join Inkpawarts to find out the differences between these two dog breeds:
For the Pembroke Corgi
- Pembroke Corgi possesses a smaller and more compact body than the Cardigan Corgi.
- Pembroke’s four legs are not equal: The front legs are short, slightly forward; hind legs are smaller and longer.
- Pembroke eyes are moderately large, the distance between the eyes is quite close.
- Pembroke’s ears are small, short, but more balanced and in harmony with the face than Cardigan’s.
- The Pembroke’s coat is short but thicker and denser than the Cardigan’s. The neck hair is quite rough like a small mane. There are only 3 accepted coat colors: fawn, sepia and dark brown.
- The tail is the most prominent feature to identify these two dog breeds. Pembroke Corgi owns a short, truncated tail, the standard tail length must be less than 5cm. If at birth, their tails are longer than specified, they will be cut short by the owner when they are 2 days old.
In terms of personality, Pembroke is considered to be more dynamic, energetic and agile than Cardigan. They love to play, run around every day, while Cardigan doesn’t ask for much about it.
In addition, Pembroke is more affectionate and attached to its owner: Likes to be petted and caressed by the owner every day. If spoiled too much, Pembroke is easily spoiled and tends to be more stubborn and difficult to obey than the Cardigan Corgi.
For the Cardigan Corgi
- Cardigan’s body is fatter and fuller than Pembroke’s.
- The four legs of this dog breed have a more equal and even length. The paws are also stronger and stronger as they are mainly used for hunting.
- Cardigan’s eyes are quite small, the distance between the eyes is farther apart than the Pembroke’s.
- The Cardigan’s coat is long but thinner than the Pembroke’s. In terms of coat color, they are much more diverse, from common colors to rare colors such as: tiger stripes, sable mink fur, spotted flower colors.
- Cardigan’s tail is very long: The length of the tail can reach the ground.
Cardigan is rated much higher than Pembroke for its ability to guard and protect. They are highly alert and rarely get along with strangers. While Pembroke is too friendly, easy to go with strangers even when meeting for the first time.
In addition, Cardigans are lazier than Pembroke Corgis: They prefer to lie down and watch things rather than run around. If you have a Cardigan, Inkpawarts.com recommends giving them more exercise to avoid obesity.
Is it better to have a Pembroke Corgi or a Cardigan Corgi?
Those who love short-legged Corgi have one question: ” Should I choose to raise a Pembroke Corgi or a Cardigan?” According to Inkpawarts, each breed of dog has its own good points. Depends on the preferences of the breeder, the purpose you want to buy Corgi for.